Diversity is what distinguishes us from any other company in the industry. Our differences are the foundation of our uniformity. Alternatively stated: That which sets us apart, is what brings us together. Through this asset, we’ve built a proven track record of success in meeting our clients’ needs, budgets, and schedules.
KDM specializes in engineering consulting and design, program and project management, utility coordination, drafting, and permitting.
Focus. Dedication. Experience. Trust. These are the foundations on which our partnerships are built. As a professional company with a distinct edge, we embody these values to deliver exceptional results to our partners.
Since our doors opened, we have experienced remarkable growth both as a company and as individuals. We are actively involved in several associations, including:
- ACEC – American Council of Engineering Companies
- SWE – Society of Women Engineers
- IEEE – Institute of Electrical & Electronics Engineers
- IEEE PES – Power & Energy Society
- NSBE – National Society of Black Engineers
- WIE – Women in Engineering
- NAWBO – National Association of Women Business Owners
- WEN Chicago – Women’s Energy Network
- Chicago United
KDM Engineering has been recognized with:
- Chicago’s Best & Brightest Companies to Work For, 3+ years
- ComEd’s Overall Performance Award for Professional Services 2018
- Entrepreneur 360 – 360 Best Entrepreneurial Companies in America 2018
- Women Presidents’ Organization (WPO) – 50 Fastest Growing Women-Owned/Led Companies 2019
- Woman-Owned Business Achievement Award – U.S. Chamber of Commerce Dream Big Small Business Awards 2019
- 2020 Class III Supplier of the Year by the Minority Business Enterprise Input Committee of the Chicago Minority Supplier Development Council, Inc. (MBEIC/ChicagoMSDC)
- Forbes – America’s Best Startup Employers 2020
- Inc. 5000 – America’s Fastest-Growing Private Companies 2020 (#1851)
Growing up on Chicago’s southside, Kimberly Moore had always been a fan of tinkering. Lovingly known to her family as ‘Ms. Fix It’, even at a young age she was able to focus on creative ways to solve problems. Attending college at Northern Illinois University, Ms. Moore majored in Electrical Engineering. While an undergraduate, she played D1 basketball for the NIU Huskies and quickly developed a knack for getting people to remember her.
Kimberly graduated with her Bachelor of Science in E.E., then began working at a nuclear power plant and purchased her first home. She lived comfortably but soon gave in to the call of secondary education, deciding to pursue her Masters also at NIU. During that time period, entrepreneurial spirit abound, Ms. Moore created approximately 7 different companies in an attempt to find her niche. After graduation, Kimberly took another position in the engineering field as an electrical engineer handling distribution design for ComEd. The department head saw the spark in her that made him want to train her and teach her everything he knew. This training eventually led to a group managing position at another company.
In 2008, Kimberly started the company that would prove to be her catalyst into the world of successful entrepreneurship. After striking out on her own, KDM Engineering was created to provide consulting services on engineering projects. Unfortunately, the effects of the recession and the need to care for her ailing father created a conundrum that was not easily solved and resulted in her closing up shop and moving her life to Indianapolis where her father resided. After his untimely death in 2011, Ms. Moore returned, more ready than ever to make a go of the company that she believed in. She wanted to create a company that would focus on client experiences and customer service, and was successfully able to do so.
Today, KDM Engineering is a multi-million dollar entity that has managed to outwork many of the other firms in the Chicagoland area. Since moving the company to a brand new, downtown office twice, Ms. Moore has been focused on growing and expanding her brand as much as possible in order to have a hand in community relations. Still, even with all of her success, there are moments when she can be caught sitting in her office and tinkering with some random object, no doubt relishing the moment and being grateful for the trajectory that got her to this point. Well-loved by employees and clients alike, Ms. Moore will continue making her mark in the industry, as well as the world.
Ms. Moore has received several awards recognizing her hard work in building KDM Engineering into the thriving company it is today, including:
- Enterprising Women of the Year 2018
- Engineering News-Record’s 40 Under 40 Midwest
- Engineering News-Record’s 20 Under 40 National
- Consulting Specifying Engineer’s 40 Under 40 2018
- Crain’s 40 Under 40 2019
- Chicago Council on Science & Technology (C2ST) Young Professional Award 2019
- ATHENA Emerging Leader Award 2019
- U.S. Small Business Administration’s Illinois Rising Star Small Business of the Year 2020
- Crain’s Chicago Business Notable Women in STEM 2020
- EY Entrepreneur of the Year 2020 Midwest Winner